PDF, 133 pages
Any problem? Read the FAQ Downloads.
Music videos became essential to music
Since around 30 years, and especially since the incredible Thriller by Mickael Jackson, music videos have been a fascinating media not only for music, but also to develop the artistic and philosophical world of singers and bands. They are vital to guarantee the promotion and to spread a clearly identifyable public image.
There are funny and scary music videos; simple and easy, or complex, tricky, stunning music videos; hyper-realistic or poetic and philosophical music videos; in sync, or not in sync, narrative and dramatic or contemplative and purely visual music videos etc.
Despite of this diversity and this richness, the basic materials are still narration and discourse, plots, characters, situations, places and themes.
To understand better what is going on in a music video, and to make yours, the best way is to study the best works of famous scriptwriters and filmmakers.
Music video analysis
Story&Drama analyzes scene by scene / shot by shot 14 great music videos, listing all the noticeable details and effects.
- How were those videos built?
- How were the stories conceived?
- How were the plots written and arranged together?
- How were the characters designed?
- How did the scriptwriters and film-makers to offer their audiences a great show, using huge or minimum means, mixing horror, humor, political ideas, sex-appeal…?
To improve one’s technique and make one’s knowledge concrete, there is nothing better than analyzing masterworks, taking the best out of them to re-use it in your own works!
How to write a music video script?
- Michael Jackson – Thriller – Director: John Landis
- Radiohead – No Surprises – Director: Grant Gee
- Radiohead – Karma Police – Director: Jonathan Glazer
- Thom Yorke / UNKLE – Rabbit In Your Headlights – Director: Jonathan Glazer
- Björk – All is full of love – Director: Chris Cunningham
- Röyksopp – Remind Me – Director: Ludovic Houplan & Hervé de Crécy (H5)
- Justice – Stress – Director: Romain Gavras
- Skrillex – First Of The Year – Director: Tony Truand
- Skrillex – Bangarang – Director: Tony Truand
- Aphex Twin – Come to Daddy – Director: Chris Cunningham
- Sebastien Tellier – Look – Director: Mrzyk & Moriceau
- Etienne de Crecy – Am I wrong? – Director: Geoffroy de Crécy
- Etienne de Crecy ft Camille – Someone like you – Director: Marie de Crécy
- Bomfunk MC – Freestyler
- General conclusion