PDF, 143 pages
What makes Game of Thrones the most watched series in the world?
Probably the great quality of its scenario.
Hundreds of thrilling plots.
A vast, complex narrative architecture.
Hundreds of realistic, colorful, contrasted characters.
Here is the complete scenario analysis of the 20 first episodes of the queen of the series.
Game Of Thrones writing and production
Media and genre
The US TV series Game of thrones adapts a saga of heroic fantasy novels – A Song of Ice and Fire – whose writing by George R. R. Martin started in 1991, and whose first tome was released in 1996.
This makes the work crossmedia: transposed from a media to another.
The script of the series is a collective work to which the author of the novels took part (he wrote for example the episode 2 of season 2 and the episode 7 of season 3).
The main scriptwriters of the TV series are:
- David Benioff, screenwriter and the son of Stephen Friedman, an important executive in the US administration.
- Daniel B. Weiss, specialized in game design – he adapted the videogame Halo into a TV series.
The website of HBO also mentions :
- Bryan Cogman, “Executive Story Editor“
- Vanessa Taylor, Author
- Jane Espenson, Author
- George R.R. Martin, Author
Production and reception
Produced by TV channel HBO, the 2 first seasons of Game of thrones were shot in Europe (mainly in Northern Ireland, Malta and Croatia) and Morocco between 2009 and 2011.
Season 1 was released in 2011 and season 2 in 2012, in several languages on several continents : USA, Brazil, Europe, Africa…, over several channels: mainstream channels, on-payment channels, TV series channels…
The critical acclaim and the reception by the audience were very good; the series obtained prizes and awards, especially for its actors, Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister or Emilia Clarke as Daenerys Targaryen.
The series does not use famous/Hollywood actors, but confirmed british actors.
The main story tells a generalized struggle for power between a few aristocratic houses – mainly the Lannister, the Stark and the Baratheon – who fight to get control over the Iron Throne, in a medieval, epic and fantastic world.
Our analysis consists in:
- A full scene by scene summary and commentary of seasons 1 and 2, listing all the noticeable effects.
- A detailed commentary about the hundreds of plots that counts the series, and a reconstitution world by world of the main plots of Westeros, King’s Landing, Winterfell, the Ice Wall and Pentos.
- A detailed commentary about the characters, their around 174 actantial roles and their thematic properties (family links, power relationships…)
- A study of the medias and genres crossed along the series (television, literature, epics, fantastic, medieval novel…)
- A study of the registers and tones (eroticism, humor, tragedy, politics, military chronique…)
To improve one’s technique and make one’s knowledge more practical, there is nothing better than analyzing masterworks, and take the best out of it for your own works!
Did you like this? Read more about our analysis of Game of Thrones:
PDF, 143 pages